Corvette was the focus of this year’s Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca this past August, with a large group of vintage and historic racing Corvettes joining the wider range of historic racers both on site and racing around the track.
Held August 16-19, the Motorsports Reunion featured 14 different racing groups that spanned every era of racing competition, with makes from all around the world racing around WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca’s 11-turn track. In total, 53,851 visitors were on-site to see these cars in action, and to celebrate the history of Corvette.
The Corvette Anniversary display featured a range of Corvette milestones, including the 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans-winning C8.R, the CERV I, II and III, the Corvette SS prototype, the three Cunningham Corvettes, two of the original five Corvette Grand Sports and the 1966 Daytona and Sebring class-winning Penske Corvette.
Corvette racer Ron Fellows served as the event’s Grand Marshal, and he also raced the 1987 Profab Corvette in the 1981-91 GTO/Trans Am class.
“Walking throughout the paddock and Hagerty Marketplace during the week, I could see the happy families truly enjoying the activities,” said John Narigi, president and general manager of WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. “It’s all possible through the visionary work of everyone behind the scenes who work tirelessly to be able to produce this renowned event for everyone to enjoy. From the race participants, guests, sponsors, volunteers, community and the Advisory Council, it’s the year’s highlight to be able to produce our Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion each year. And a special thank you to our partners Rolex and General Motors for making it all come together for everyone’s enjoyment.”
The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion annually recognizes the spirit of competition with extraordinary cars during the prize-giving, and not who finishes first. This year’s recipients were:
- Peter Giddings Memorial Award – Ivan Zaremba in his 1935 Railton Light Sport Tourer
- Ken Miles Award – Nick Grewal for his 1959 Lotus
- Phil Remington Award, presented by Ford – Pedro Vela of the REVS Institute
- Henry Ford Trophy – Philip Kadoorie in his 1963 Shelby Cobra
- Bonhams Award – Alastair Chalmers for his 1975 Chevron
- Motul Best of Show – Kevin McKay for his Number 9 Sunoco Penske 1966 Corvette L88
- John Fitch Corvette Award – Wally Owens and driver Ron Fellows in the 1987 Profab Rolex Group Awards – The Rolex Awards are presented to a driver who represents Overall Excellence in each Saturday race.
Rolex Group Awards – The Rolex Awards are presented to a driver who represents Overall Excellence in each Saturday race:
- Group 1: 1955-1967 SCCA Production-Small Displacement – William Lyon in his 1960 Porsche RS60 Spyder
- Group 2: 1961-1971 FIA Manufacturers Championship – Remo Lips in the 1969 Ferrari 312P
- Group 3: 1927-1955 Grand Prix/Open Wheel Single Seat – Conrad Stevenson for his 1939 Alfa Romeo 6C2500
- Group 4: 1981-1991 GTO/Trans Am – Rick Jeffrey in his 1986 Profab Chevrolet Camaro Z28
- Group 5: Ragtime Racers Exhibition – Julien Pearl driving his 1911 White Speedster
- Group 6: 1972-1981 FIA, IMSA, GT, GTX, AAGT, GTU – Glenn Chiou in his 1971 Datsun 240Z
- Group 7: 1966-1974 Can-Am / 1963-1968 USRRC – Chris Springer for his 1972 McLaren M8F
- Group 8: 1966-1972 Historic Trans-Am – Jim Hague in the 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302
- Group 9: Formula 5000 – Bruce Leeson in his 1969 McLaren M10B
- Group 10: 1955-1967 SCCA Production-Large Displacement – Jeff Abramson for his 1964 Chevrolet Corvette
- Group 11: 1966-1985 Historic Formula One – Steve Romak in his 1985 Tyrell 12
- Group 12: 1947-1960 Front-Engined Sports Racing and GT – William Rooklidge driving his 1955 Jaguar D-Type
- Group 13: 1981-2007 GTP, Group C, DP, WSC, LMP & GT1 through 2009 – Jim Norman in his 1985 March 85-G
- Group 14: 1955-1969 Saloon – Allan Thom for his 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
The Spirit of Monterey – This award is presented to the driver or entrant who excels in the spirit of the weekend: Ron Erickson driving his 1957 Chevrolet Corvette.