It seems like just about every Mecum auction these days sets a new record. This time it was in Houston, where 1,047 cars sold from March 31 to April 2 — again besting the numbers that Mecum set there in previous years. For those of you counting, that’s nearly $300m worth of sales in 2022 so far — and the blowout sales in Indy and Monterey are still on the horizon.
The top sales of the day all had Hollywood and pop culture connections. Number one on the list was a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback Eleanor Tribute, which sold to a new owner for $253,000. Just behind that was a 1967 Pontiac Monkeemobile Replica, which sold for $242,000, and rounding out the top three was a 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters Ecto 1 Replica, which made $220,000. Both the Monkeemobile and Ecto 1 came from the 170-car Triple J Ranch Collection, which totaled $7.37m.
Other highlights included a 3,400-mile 1991 Ferrari Testarossa from the Dr. Sonny Rush Collection at $203,500, a 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo at $189,750, and a 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Platinum truck at $187,000.
The complete top ten sales at Houston 2022 included:
- 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S140) at $253,000
- 1967 Pontiac Monkeemobile Replica (Lot S64) at $242,000
- 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters Ecto 1 Replica (Lot F6.1) at $220,000
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S95) at $203,500
- 1991 Ferrari Testarossa (Lot F162.1) at $203,500
- 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (Lot F161.1) at $189,750
- 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon (Lot S76) at $187,000
- 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Pickup (Lot S136.1) at $187,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air (Lot S192) at $178,750
- 2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (Lot S29) at $162,250